Translate


Monday, April 30, 2007

Almost May Day

Bro. Sedwick is a bit of a poet and pointed out that W.H. Auden wrote of the Romantics, and he thinks now of William Blake's "Auguries of Innocence" and how they thought the opposite of today's scientific age of reason trumps all. Auden wrote: "... imagination, not reason, is man's defining power, and his gift from his creator - the divine element in man is now held to be neither power nor free will nor reason, but self consciousness." I must say, I had Bro. Sedwick repeat that very slowly so that I could write it all down, for all I had was a stick of chalk and I hurriedly printed each work onto the concrete floor of the dining room. Right now I have the chalked marks surrounded by a circle of paper cups inverted, so as to keep the words from being trampled upon. Now this morning I find that others have added more chalked text to mine. First is this quote by Blake, "I know of no other Christianity and of no other Gospel than the liberty both of body and mind to exercise the Divine Arts of Imagination." And then chalked in another hand this, "I know of no other Christianity, and of no other Gospel than the liberty both of body and mind to exercise the Divine Arts of Imagination: Imagination, the real and eternal World of which this Vegetable Universe is but a faint shadow, and in which we shall live in our Eternal or Imaginative Bodies, when these Vegetable Mortal Bodies are no more." I can see that if more chalk quotes are added to the concrete floor and the circle of cups continues to expand, then we all may be outside for our noon time meal, yet again, if it stirs our imaginations a bit, then I would say it all worthwhile. We'll see.

No comments: