Translate


Thursday, February 23, 2006

Desert Journal - Entry 4

Brothers of the monastery,

Stars!
Look!
Ah, I recall how Bro. Justin Martyr rhapsodized the 19th Psalm, a mere hundred years after the birth of our Savior -- listen:

"Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their voice has gone out into all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world. In the sun hath He set His tabernacle, and he as a bridegroom going out of his chamber shall rejoice as a giant to run his course."

And night after night I lay on my back, warm sand to my back, God's magnificent creation above, I must tell you that I find myself so mesmerized that I hardly find time to sleep -- you laugh! all of you dear brothers, yes, picture me, who so often you find in his favorite hammock, yes, you find it hard to believe that I hardly find time to sleep -- but it is true! Last night I lay, the warm sand easing the aches in my weary bones, when to my side I heard a rustle -- a snake?! -- but before I could leap to my feet, an inquisitive "lizard" scrambled onto my robe and with sure dexterity he arrived atop my heaving chest, and there he remained for the remainder of his visitation. And together we returned to the "knowledge" of God. Heaven! No left, no right ... only infinity! And I counted ... one, two, three, four ... two-hundred and thirty seven, two-hundred and thirty eight ... one thousand and four, one thousand and five ... zzzzzzzzzz

Bro. Bartleby
(and little Felix, the lizard, both counting stars)

No comments: